We actively work to elevate social and emotional awareness among families and professionals as part of our vision outreach!
Each winter The Meeting house hosts our annual Symposium of Ideas, during which we invite noted speakers to discuss timely and relevant topics of interest to professionals and parents about child development.
Our Past symposiums have addressed a variety of Social Emotional Learning topics:
Emotional Intelligence: From Theory to Practice (2016)
The role of emotional intelligence in decision making, relationships and mental health—as well as the beneficial impact of emotional intelligence training in both academic and workplace performance.
- Dr. Marc Brackett, Director of The Yale Center for Emotional Inelligence
How Social Media Influences Our Children’s Social Development (2015)
Exploring the rich and complex experience created through different forms of social media use by children and the social behavior and relationships outcomes?
- Mega M. Subramaniam, Ph.D., Assistant Professor and Associate Director of Information Policy and Access Center (iPAC) at the College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland
- r. Orit Goldhamer, Middle School Psychologist at The Churchill School
- Janine Francolini, Founder of The Flawless Foundation,
- Dr. Scott Gaynor, Head of School at The Stephen Gayor School,
Perspectives on Executive Function (2014)
New ideas and current thinking regarding conceptualization, daily functioning, interaction between ADHD and executive function, neuroplasticity and improving relationships as related to the social and emotional well being of children.
- Howard Abikoff, Ph.D., Child Study Center at NYU Langone Medical Center
- Stephen Rudin, MD, Founder, Principal Mentor and CEO, Individual U.
- Matthew Kelly, MPH,
- Co-Principal Mentor, COO, Director of Science and Executive Function, Individual U.
Developing Social Skills in Children (2013)
A survey and analysis of Assessment, Intervention & Generalization
- Fadi Haddad, M.D., Director of Child Psychiatric Emergency Services at Bellevue Hospital
- Director of the Center for Family Development
- Sima Gerber, Ph.D, CCC-SLP, Professor of Speech-Language Pathology
- Linguistics and Communication Disorders at Queens College
Protect, Empower & Motivate Kids (2012)
How parents and professionals can impact social issues facing elementary and middle school children
- Dr. Alan Kazdin, Professor of Psychology and Child Psychiatry at Yale University
- Bob Cunningham, Ed. M., Head of School for The Gateway Schools
- Gary S. Mayerson, Partner at Mayerson & Associates